Frequently Asked Questions
What does online training do for me?
Previously, training for written certification exams meant sitting in a classroom for five days, shutting down production, running through concepts and regulations too quickly, all at a cost of several thousand dollars.
Online training allows operators to learn at their own pace and at times convenient to them, receive comprehensive training that has been audited by independent subject matter experts to ensure quality and adherence to industry standards, spend as much or as little time as they need on topics based on individual skill levels, and help cut training costs virtually in half.
How to Assign a User to a new Course?
Please see the video below
What is required for NCCCO certification?
In order to receive NCCCO certification, candidates must pass a written and practical examination.
What are the requirements to take the NCCCO exam?
Requirements for certification include the following:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Meet Physical Requirements
- Comply with CCO’s Substance Abuse Policy
- Pass Written Examinations (Core and one Specialty)
- Pass Practical Examination(s) - Candidates must pass the Practical exam within twelve months of passing the written examination.
- Comply with the NCCCO Code of Ethics
Certified crane operators must continue to meet ASME B30.5 physical requirements throughout their certification period and attest to their agreement to this requirement in their application. Means of compliance with ASME physical requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- NCCCO Physical Examination Form (valid for three years)
- A current DOT (Department of Transportation) Medical Examiner's Certificate (valid for two years)
CCO WRITTEN EXAMINATIONS:
The written examination program consists of a Core examination in crane operation, as well as four crane Specialty examinations. The Core examination has 90 multiple-choice questions. Candidates are allowed 90 minutes to complete the Core examination.
All Specialty examinations consist of 26 multiple choice questions. Candidates are allowed 55 minutes to complete each Specialty examination.
All candidates are required to take the Core examination regardless of the Specialty(s) in which they wish to be certified.
CCO Specialty Examinations:
- Lattice Boom Crawler Cranes (LBC)
- Lattice Boom Truck Cranes (LBT)
- Large Telescopic Boom Cranes (TLL - Swing Cab)
- Small Telescopic Boom Cranes (TSS - Fixed Cab)
Candidates must register for the Core and at least one of the Specialty examinations. Certification requires competency in both the Core and one or more Specialty categories.
CCO PRACTICAL EXAMINATIONS
The CCO Practical Examination demonstrating crane operation proficiency is available in three (3) crane types:
- Lattice Boom Cranes
- Large Telescopic Boom Cranes (Swing Cab)
- Small Telescopic Boom Cranes (Fixed Cab)
A candidate must pass the written Core and at least one Specialty examination as well as the corresponding Practical Exam in order to be certified for a five (5) year period.